The Ultimate List of 183 Software Marketing Statistics
If you're managing marketing in the software or SAAS industry, then you know things changes very quickly. From the channels we use to drive growth, to the strategies and best practices across all areas of digital marketing.
That's why this comprehensive list of 183 statistics across software marketing channels is your ultimate resource to stay current on what works. To make it easy, you can use the links below to jump to sections of interest.
Table of Contents:
- Marketing Automation Statistics
- Lead Generation Statistics
- Search Engine Optimization Statistics
- AI-Driven Marketing Statistics
- Email Marketing Statistics
- Marketing with Chatbots Statistics
- SMS Marketing Statistics
- Content Marketing Statistics
- Video Marketing Statistics
- Advertising Statistics
- CRM Software
Marketing Automation Statistics
Marketing Automation is a process that allows companies to streamline, automate, and measure marketing campaigns and workflows, so they can increase operational efficiency and grow revenue faster.
Adopting marketing automation will help you increase your marketing productivity, helps you achieve more ROI, and avoid doing repetitive tasks.
Interested about what Marketing Automation tools are out there? Make sure to check this article, to find the right marketing automation tool for you.
The following Marketing Automation Stats will tell you "why" you should use it, and what challenges come with it.
- 75% of all companies already use at least one kind of marketing automation tool. (Source: bloggingx)
- 76% of companies that used automation saw a return on their investment. (Source: bloggingx)
- By using marketing automation you can achieve a 451% increase in qualified leads. (Source: bloggingx)
- 90% of companies use multiple forms of marketing automation software. (Source: bloggingx)
- 53% of B2B organizations implement marketing automation, and 37% plan to implement it (Source: Mktg.actonsoftware.com)
- 75% of those surveyed added marketing automation to their business in less than six months (Source: Slideshare.net)
- Marketing Automation spending is expected to reach $25 billion by 2023. (Source: forrester)
- The majority of users think marketing automation is fairly priced (Source: Venturebeat.com)
- Nearly 90% of agencies say their marketing automation strategy is successful (Source: Sharpspring)
- The top benefit of Marketing Automation is lead management, with more relevant content coming in second (Source: B2bm)
- 78% of successful marketers say that marketing automation is most responsible for improving revenue contribution (Source: Lenskold.com)
- 80% of marketing automation users saw their number of leads increase, and 77% saw the number of conversions increase due to marketing automation (Source: Venturebeat.com)
- Marketing automation drives a 14.5% increase in sales productivity and a 12.2% reduction in marketing overhead (Source: nucleusresearch.com)
- 30% of business owners, executives, and marketers who use GetResponse believe the most beneficial aspect of marketing automation is saving time and avoid repetitive tasks (Source: Getresponse)
- 36% of respondents realized the benefits of integrating marketing automation in 6 months or less (Source: Ascend2)
- 16% of marketers believe their #1 challenge is creating quality automation (Source: Automizi)
- 17% of experts advise beginners to plan their marketing automation strategy ahead of time (Source: Automizi)
- Only 19% of individuals saw a dramatic increase in qualified leads with marketing automation (Source: yumpu)
- 56% of marketing influencers find data management to be the most difficult marketing technology to implement (Source: Ascend2)
- There is a higher adoption of marketing automation in America with 69% of respondents using or applying marketing automation
- 92% of the respondents main goal is to improve their qualified lead pipeline and 81% is customer retention (Source: invespcro)
- 51% of B2B marketers consider personalized/dynamic content to be the most effective tactic of marketing automation (Source: ascend2)
- 53% of marketing influencers think email marketing automation is the most effective technology
- The marketing automation industry is expected to reach 8.42 million by 2027 (Source: grandviewresearch)
- 480,000 websites currently use marketing automation software. (Bolddigital)
- 63% of Marketers to Increase their Marketing Automation Budgets (Source: invespcro)
- 40% of Marketers Not Using Marketing automation plan to adopt it soon (Source: khrisdigital)
- The marketing automation software industry is worth over $6.1 billion (Source: globenewswire)
- Social media post scheduling is the most common automation process (Source: khrisdigital)
- Email Marketing Automation is among the top three tactics used by email marketers to improve performance (Source: hubspot)
- Data-driven Marketing Automation is on the Fast-Rise (Source: khrisdigital)
- 80% of Marketers Use Marketing Automation to Generate qualified Leads (Source: emailmonday)
- Businesses that implement marketing automation experience an average of a 451% increase in qualified leads. (Source: Business2Community)
- 58% of Agencies Believe Marketing Automation Helps them Understand Marketing ROI (Source: invespcro)
- 58% of Marketers Use Marketing Automation for Upselling (Source: moosend)
- 85% of companies use Marketing Automation for Revenue Growth (Source: moosend)
- 76% of marketers see a positive ROI thanks to marketing automation within a year
- Automated lead nurturing converts 15-20% of customers to sales revenue (Source: khrisdigital)
- In the research, Nucleus found that marketing automation improved business' productivity by an average of 20%.
- 80% of marketers that implement marketing automation generate their success (Source: khrisdigital)
- 44% of marketers think that using marketing automation doesn't allow them to deliver personalized content (Source: khrisdigital)
- 16% that have adopted marketing automation think that creating quality content is their number one challenge.
- 243 marketing automation users think the top challenge in vendor selection is simply understanding the differences in functionality between them.
- 55.6% of companies that don't use marketing automation is because they lack expertise (Source: lianatech)
- 48.1% of companies that don't use marketing automation is because they lack expertise (Source: lianatech)
- 56% of marketers have difficulties keeping up with the marketing trends and evolutions
- According to a survey, companies that have used marketing automation saw an average increase of 10%.
- 36% of marketers use marketing automation in order to make room for more meaningful projects. (Source: tfminsights)
Lead Generation Statistics
Lead Generation is the process of identifying and cultivating potential customers for a business's products or services.
It's usually implemented via marketing campaigns supported by marketing automation - bringing potential clients to your business, and sales prospects who might purchase your products or services.
- An estimated 4.5 billion people will use email by 2024. (Source: Statista)
- Email marketing helps driving sales, 81% of customers will continue to use a service if they received regular emails. (Source: Statista)
- For 80% of B2B Marketers, lead generation is their 12-months most important goal. (Source: content marketing institute)
- Only 3% are considered as active buyers on the market (Source: heinzmarketing)
Lead generation follows demand generation. Demand generation happens and then lead generation happens.
Demand generation is the process of creating interest in your services or products to build an effective line of qualified leads for your sales team.
- Ad placement and audience targeting are the top ways that advertisers drive more demand. (Source: HubSpot)
- Over 60% of marketers said their CAC has increased in the past three years. (Source: HubSpot)
- 49% of companies report that increasing customer acquisition is their primary objective. (Source: Ascend2)
- 71% of B2B marketers expect their demand gen budget will increase in 2019 (Source: Drift)
- 46% said their demand gen budget will increase by 20%+ in 2019, up from 32% in 2018 (Source: Drift)
Lead Management Strategies
- 63% of people making inquiries into a company take up to three months before making a purchase (Source: Marketing Donut)
- A 9.3% higher sales quota completion rate has been attributed to good lead management strategies. (Source: HubSpot)
- B2B companies with referrals have 70% higher conversion rates. (Source: Marketing Insider Group)
- 46% of marketers find that a well-planned lead management strategy results in a 75% follow-up rate. (Source: writersblocklive)
- Lead management automation leads to a 10% rise in revenue over 6-9 months (Source: TrueList 2021)
- A response within 5 minutes increases conversion potential by 900%. (Source: writersblocklive)
- A mature lead management strategy increases same-day responses according to 25% of marketers. (Source: Forrester)
Lead Nurturing Statistics
- 68% of B2B businesses are implementing landing pages as key tools for lead nurturing and conversions. (Source: Business 2 Community)
- 63% of businesses find generating traffic and leads to be one of their biggest marketing challenges. (Source: HubSpot)
- 74% of global companies make lead nurturing their priority. (Source: HubSpot)
- Lead nurturing can improve sales by 50% while reducing costs by 33%. (Source: Forrester)
- Only 29% of businesses are putting additional resources into lead nurturing. (Source: Drift)
Search Engine Optimization Statistics
SEO represents all the techniques used to improve a website's ranking on search engine results pages, including both on-site and off-site optimization.
It is also called organic traffic. SEO aims at bringing conversions to the website and target audiences more accurately.
Organic search is a term for search engine results that are naturally generated and not influenced by paid ads.
Organic search results appear as a list of links to web pages and are based on relevance to the search terms.
- Google has 92.42% of the search engine market share worldwide. (Source: Hubspot)
- 53% of website traffic comes from organic search (Source: BrightEdge)
- Google processes approximately 70,000 search queries every second, which can be translated to 5.8 billion searches per day, and approximately 2 trillion global searches per year. (Source: Hubspot)
- SEO drives 1000%+ more traffic than organic social media. (Source: BridgeEdge)
- The most searched keyword on Google in the US is “YouTube”(Source: Ahref)
- 49% of shoppers surveyed say they use Google to discover or find a new item or product. (Source: Thinkwithgoogle)
- 75% of shoppers surveyed say they have used a Google product (Search, Maps, YouTube) in the past week to help with their shopping. (Source: Think with Google)
- Less than Half of Google Searches Now Result in a Click (Source: SparkToro)
- The average CTR from image results is 0.21%, and it varies widely by industry. (Source: seoclarity.net)
- 67% of all clicks go to the first five organic results (Source: zerolimitweb.com)
Local SEO is a digital marketing strategy and process to optimize a site (or pages) on your website to show for organic search in the search engines where the user is trying to find local information.
- Mobile queries for “Where to buy” + “near me” have grown by over 200% in the past two years (where to buy flowers near me, where to buy stamps near me, where to buy pumpkins near me). (Source: Think with Google)
- In a global survey, 74% of in-store shoppers who searched online before going to the store to shop, said they searched for something in-store-related such as the closest store near them, locations, in-stock near them, hours, directions, wait times, and contact information. (Source: Think with Google)
- 59% of shoppers surveyed say they use Google to research a purchase they plan to make in-store or online. (Source: Think with Google)
- 70% of shoppers surveyed say the ability to shop in person/in a store is important when deciding which brand or retailer to buy from. (Source: Think with Google)
- 46% of all Google searches are local, with 60% of the people who search for local business using their smartphones. (Source: hubspot)
- 76% of people who search on their smartphones for something nearby visit a business within a day (Source: backlinko)
Mobile search refers to someone doing online research with the use of a mobile device, such as a smartphone or a tablet.
- Almost 25% of companies invest in mobile optimization SEO as a top efficient tactic implemented. (Source: HubSpot)
- 60% of smartphone users have contacted a business directly using the search results such as the "click to call” option. (Source: Think with Google)
- 39% of smartphone users are more likely to browse or shop a company or brand’s mobile app because it’s easier or faster to make a purchase. (Source: Think with Google)
AI-Driven Marketing Statistics
Artificial intelligence marketing (AI) is a method of leveraging customer data and AI concepts like machine learning to anticipate your customer’s next move and improve the customer journey.
Armed with data insights, digital marketers can boost their campaigns’ performance and ROI, all of which can be achieved with essentially no extra effort on the marketer’s part. While this definition provides an overview of AI marketing at the most basic level, there is obviously much more that goes into it.
- $1 billion – Netflix’s total savings from using machine learning to make personalized recommendations (Source: Bughin et al)
- The number of businesses adopting AI grew by 270% (Source: Gartner)
- Global AI marketing is expected to reach $267 billion by 2021 (Source: Fortune Business Insights)
- More than 9 in 10 leading businesses have ongoing investments in artificial intelligence (Source: NewVantage)
- More than half of businesses have reported a boost in productivity after having implemented AI. (Source: PWC)
- 62% of consumers are willing to submit personal data to AI to have better experiences with businesses. (Source: Salesforce)
- 80% of retail business executives expect their companies to adopt AI technology between 2020 to 2027 (Source: Financesonline)
Email Marketing Statistics
Email Marketing can bring critical business growth and is very effective for your business to create, maintain and develop your relationship with your customers.
Two types of email marketing exist: the first one is engagement emails. Engagement emails are about storytelling.
The second type is transactional emails which are directly related to making and or closing up a sale.
Click-through rate (CTR) is the number of clicks on a specific link or call to action (also known as CTA, for example, the ‘Learn More’ text at the bottom of email marketing campaigns) to the number of times people were exposed to the link.
Here’s a simple click-through rate formula: CTR = (click-throughs / impressions) x 100
- Message Personalization is the number one tactic used by email marketers to improve performance. (Source: Hubspot)
- 35% of marketers choose to send three to five emails per week to their customers. (Source: Hubspot)
- Promotional emails are the most common email type that marketers are investing in. (Source: Hubspot)
- The industry average email click-through rate is 2.13%. (Source GetRespons)
- Hobbies have the highest click rate, at 5.01% (Source: MailChimp)
- Friday is typically the day with the highest click-through rates potential, at 2.6%. (Source: Campaign Monitor)
- At 30.5% in 2020, government emails dominate email open rates globally. (Source: Campaign Monitor)
Email Marketing Usage
- Email marketing has the highest return on investment for small businesses. (Source: Campaign Monitor)
- Tuesdays see the highest email open and email unsubscribe rates. (Source: Campaign Monitor)
- In the U.S., 21% of email opens happens between 9 a.m. and noon. (Source: Litmus)
- The number of global e-mail users is set to grow to 4.48 billion users in 2021. (Source: Statista)
- Digital marketers who used segmented campaigns noted as much as a 760% increase in revenue–and more than 76% of marketers say segmentation is part of their email digital marketing efforts. (Source: Campaign Monitor)
- 75% of marketers use their reports to show how campaigns are directly impacting revenue.
- (Source: HubSpot)
- Less than 25% of marketers are not reporting how campaigns are impacting revenue. (Source: HubSpot)
- Google Analytics is the top SEO tool used by marketers. (Source: HubSpot)
- Just over 75% of marketers are reporting on how their campaigns are directly influencing revenue. (Source: HubSpot)
- Only 35% of marketers said that understanding the ROI of their campaigns is “Very Important” or “Extremely Important.” (Source: HubSpot)
- 52% of marketers are currently using attribution reporting. (Source: HubSpot)
- 91% of marketers are "somewhat confident"’ or "very confident" that they’re investing in programs that influence revenue. (Source: HubSpot)
- 15% of marketers measure the success of their content programs by how many leads they generate. (Source: HubSpot)
- Over 29 million websites use Google Analytics (Source: BuiltWith)
Marketing with Chatbots Statistics
A Chatbot is a computer program designed to simulate conversation with human users, especially over the Internet. Chatbots are faster and more persistent than human beings.
- 20 billion – The total number of messages exchanged on messenger each month (Source: Facebook IQ).
- Over 59% of users say messaging businesses provide them with faster response times (Source: Facebook IQ).
- 80% of adults message daily (Source: Facebook IQ).
- 64% of people around the world say they are always messaging (Source: Facebook IQ).
- Countries with the most number of chatbot users are the U.S. (36%), India (11%), and Germany (4%). (Source: Collect.chat)
SMS Marketing Statistics
Text message is a marketing tactic that gives you the perfect opportunity to connect with your customers on the devices they carry with them all day, every day.
Mobile communication is also a great way to measure your company's brand awareness. If you send them a survey after they shop or use your services.
- 83% of millennials open SMS messages within 90 seconds of receiving them (Source: OpenMarket)
- Among the 18-34-year-old age bracket, the text is the preferred channel for notifications from businesses. (Source: OpenMarket)
- 75% of millennials prefer SMS communications for deliveries, promotions, and surveys. (Source: OpenMarket)
- 31% of consumers respond to SMS surveys, with an average response time of fewer than six minutes. (Source: OpenMarket)
- Americans check their phones 96 times a day or once every 10 minutes. This figure has a 20% daily increase in 2019 compared to two years prior. (Source: Asurion)
Content Marketing Statistics
Content Marketing Strategy is a powerful marketing tool and refers to a form of marketing that focuses on creating, publishing, and distributing content for a targeted audience online.
Social Media Marketing
- 2.8 billion monthly active Facebook users by the end of 2020 (Facebook)
- 1.8 billion Facebook users (66%) use the app on a daily basis (Facebook)
- India (320 million), the US (190 million), and Indonesia (140 million) are the countries with most Facebook users (Source: Statista)
- LinkedIn has 756 million members, however, it is not known how many are active every day or every month. (Source: Business of Apps)
- The United States has the most LinkedIn members, followed by India and China. (Source: Business of Apps)
- At 1.082 billion, Instagram is ranked at the 6th most popular social network by the number of users. (Source: backlinko)
- Instagram is most popular in the United States, with 120 million users, followed by India (80 million), Brazil (77 million), Indonesia (63 million), and Russia (44 million). (Source: backlinko)
- Snapchat has 265 million daily active users worldwide. An increase from 158 million daily users in 2016. (Source:backlinko)
- Users produce about 70 million new posts and 77 million new comments each month. (Source: WordPress)
- WordPress is the most used in English-speaking countries (71%), Spanish (4.7%), and Indonesian (2.4%). (Source: WordPress)
- 89% of content B2B marketers use blog posts/short articles in their content creation strategy (Source: contentmarketinginstitute.com)
- Over 80% of internet users use mobile devices to surf the web. (Source: techjury.net)
- 7,000+ word articles are absolute leaders in terms of content performance, as they drive almost 4 times more traffic than articles of average length (900-1,200 words). (Source: semrush.com)
- 10 to 13-word headlines drive twice as much traffic and X1.5 more shares than shorter ones (< 7 words). (Source: semrush.com)
- Posts with at least one image get twice as much traffic as posts containing text only. These also get 30% more shares and 25% more backlinks. (Source: semrush.com)
- Posts containing at least one list per every 500 words of plain text get 70% more traffic than posts without lists. (Source: semrush.com)
Content Marketing Strategy
- 60% of B2C marketers use content marketing strategies. (Source: review42)
- 73% of businesses have a designated employee to monitor content creation. (Source: review42)
- 72% of companies say content marketing increases leads. (Source: review42)
- The most common measurement of success for content marketing programs is Total Sales. (Source: Hubspot)
- 24% of marketers plan on increasing their investment in content marketing in 2020. (Source: Hubspot)
Video Marketing Statistics
Video Content Marketing Strategy is a very powerful way to communicate with your target audience, and build a very strong relationship with them. It's also a very fast and effective marketing effort to implement, no matter what your business resources are.
- YouTube has 2 billion monthly active users (Source: Statista)
- YouTube users exist in more than 100 countries (Source: YouTube)
- 18–34-year-olds are watching Youtube regularly (Source: YouTube)
- 6 out of 10 people prefer online video platforms to live TV (Source: Think With Google)
- YouTube is becoming more popular with younger demographics (Source: Statista)
- Mobile video consumption: Americans spend on average 323 minutes per week watching video content.
Paid search is a digital marketing method in which marketers place ads on search engine results pages (SERPs) and pay for the engagement that’s received by those ads.
Paid search marketing puts this model into practice, by allowing marketers to advertise on SERPs specifically through pay-per-click (PPC) or pay-per-view (PPV) means.
There are different types of advertising, including Google Adwords, Facebook Ads, LinkedIn Ads, Instagram Ads, Bing Ads.
Mobile Advertising refers to any form of advertising that appears on mobile devices such as smartphones or tablets using wireless connections.
Businesses advertise via SMS or through an ad banner that appears embedded on a mobile website.
- In 2019, mobile advertising spending worldwide amounted to 189 billion U.S. dollars and it is expected to surpass 240 billion dollars by 2022. (Source: Statista)
- As of the third quarter of 2019, 94 percent of Facebook's advertising revenues were generated via mobile, up from 92 percent in the corresponding quarter of the previous year. (Source: Statista)
- Today, there are 5.11 billion unique mobile users on the planet. (Source: DataReportal)
- U.S. adults spent an average of three hours and 44 minutes per day on mobile devices in 2018. (Source: Statista)
- Mobile accounts for 72% of U.S. digital ad spending. (Source: eMarketer)
Display Advertising is an online form of advertising. Ad usually appears on third-party sites or search engine results pages such as publishers or social media networks.
Display Advertising is a key part of your digital marketing strategy.
- In 2018, U.S. advertisers spent nearly $50 million on programmatic digital display advertising. (Source: HubSpot)
- Across social channels, photo and imagery posts are the most-used content type to increase audience engagement. (Source: HubSpot)
- 68% of marketers stated that paid advertising is "very important" or "extremely important" to their overall marketing strategy. (Source: HubSpot)
- Ad placement and audience targeting are the top optimization tactics used by advertisers today. (Source: HubSpot)
- 33% of marketers use paid advertising to increase their brand awareness. (Source: HubSpot)
- Viewable display ads across the Google Display Network had a 4X higher lift in conversions than display ads that don’t meet the MRC standard. (Source: Think with Google)
PPC stands for Pay-Per-Click is a way to bring traffic to your website. Advertisers pay each time a fee when their ads are being clicked on.
Instead of earning those visits via organic traffic, advertisers bid on the perceived value of a click in relation to the keywords.
- Businesses typically earn $2 for every $1 spent on Google Ads. (Source: Google Economic Impact)
- In 2018, search advertising spending amounted to 124.1 billion U.S. dollars worldwide. Expenditure was forecast to increase by approximately nine percent in 2019, reaching close to 136 billion U.S. dollars. (Source: Statista)
- Google and Facebook currently account for over 60% of all ad spend. (Source: eMarketer)
- Paid ads account for 39% of marketers’ budgets. (Source: MarTech Advisor)
- 17% of marketers use PPC ads for lead generation. (Source: Formstack)
- 75% of users click on ads as they help them find the information they need more easily. (Source: Clutch)
- 52% of PPC clicks come from mobile. (Source: 99firms)
- 94% of people report watching explainer videos to learn more about a product. (Source: Wyzowl)
- Viewers are 4x more likely to use YouTube versus other platforms to find information about a brand, product, or service. (Source: Marketing Dive)
- Viewers are 2x more likely to buy something they saw on YouTube. (Source: Marketing Dive)
- 95% of video marketers say video has helped increase user understanding of their product or service. (Source: Wyzowl)
- 92% of marketers surveyed who use video say that it’s an important part of their marketing strategy. (Source: Wyzowl)
Customer Relationship Management (CRM) is a data-driven software that manages all your company's relationships and interactions.
- 61% of overperforming leaders use their CRM to automate parts of their sales process, vs. 46% of underperforming leaders. (Source: HubSpot)
- Overall CRM usage increased from 56% in 2018 to 74% in 2019 (Source: Stellaxius)
- 91% of companies with more than 11 employees use a CRM system (Source: getbase)
- The average ROI for CRM is $8.71 for every dollar spent (Source: Nucleus)
- CRM can boost conversion rates by 300% (Source: Financesonline)
- CRM applications can increase revenue by up to 41% per sales representative (Source: Financesonline)
Always staying up to date with digital marketing trends can be a little overwhelming sometimes. Especially because digital marketing technology and industry are always evolving.
This list of statistics will help you develop your digital marketing efforts and stay relevant with your marketing campaigns - whether they are related to marketing automation tools, customer relationship management, generate leads, or SEO Content.