What are Google Discovery Ads, when should you use them, and how can you use them most effectively?
Google Ads Discovery campaigns were introduced as a way to reach users across various Google platforms in moments when they’re open to discovering new products or services. Discovery campaigns take advantage of Google’s understanding of users’ intent to show more relevant and visually appealing ads to potential customers.
Features & Benefits of Google Discovery Campaigns:
- Reach: Discovery campaigns allow advertisers to reach users across multiple Google-owned properties only. It’s important to note that this does not include the Google Display Network (GDN).
- Discover Feed on Google mobile homepage
- YouTube Home and Watch Next feeds
- Gmail Promotions and Social tabs
- Visually Rich: The ads are designed to be visually appealing. They use high-quality images to capture users’ attention.
- Intent-powered: Google uses a combination of signals such as search history, browsing patterns, and user behavior to ensure that the ads displayed are relevant to users and align with their interests.
- Audience Targeting: Advertisers can target specific audience segments such as:
- In-market audiences
- Affinity audiences
- Detailed demographics
- Custom intent audiences
- Remarketing and similar audiences
- Automated Optimization: Google Ads optimizes the campaigns using its machine learning algorithms. The system automatically adjusts bids, audience segments, and placements to achieve the best results for the advertiser based on their objectives.
- Asset-based Creation: Advertisers provide multiple headlines, descriptions, and images, and Google’s algorithms mix and match these assets to create the most effective ad combinations for different users and contexts.
- Performance and Measurement: Discovery campaigns offer standard metrics to measure performance like clicks, conversions, impressions, and more. Additionally, advertisers can view asset-level performance to understand which images, headlines, or descriptions are performing best.
- Conversion Types: Depending on the business goals, advertisers can set up Discovery campaigns to drive website visits, online sales, or even physical store visits.
- High-Quality Imagery: Since Discovery campaigns are visually oriented, using high-resolution and compelling images is crucial. Visually rich ads are crucial for attracting clicks and website traffic with a Discovery campaign.
- Broad Targeting: It’s recommended to start with broader audience segments and let Google’s algorithms find the right users.
- Asset Variety: Provide a variety of ad assets to allow the system to test different combinations and optimize performance.
In summary, Discovery campaigns offer a unique opportunity to reach users across different Google platforms in visually appealing formats when they’re most receptive to new products or services.
Additional Google Discovery Ads Resources:
- Google Ads Help: About Discovery Campaigns
- Summary: This resource from Google Ads Help offers an in-depth overview of Discovery campaigns, including their benefits, ad formats, and targeting options. Master the art of Discovery Ads and unlock new growth opportunities with this comprehensive guide.
- Google Ads Blog: Reach More Customers with Discovery Campaigns
- Think With Google: 5 Best Practices for Google Discovery Ads
- Summary: Think With Google provides valuable best practices to increase the performance of your Discovery Ads. From choosing the right images to leveraging automation, explore these actionable insights and optimize your marketing efforts for maximum ROI.
- Search Engine Journal: Google Ads Introduces Discovery Campaigns
- Summary: Learn how Discovery Campaigns differ from traditional ad formats and how they can benefit your digital marketing with this informative article from Search Engine Journal. Gain insights into additional ad targeting options and design choices to maximize the impact of your campaigns.
- WordStream: Google Discovery Ads: How They Work, Best Practices & Performance Metrics
- Summary: WordStream’s comprehensive guide on Google Discovery Ads covers everything from setup to performance metrics. Understand the key principles of successful Discovery ads and learn how to optimize your campaigns for better results, higher conversions, and increased ROI.
- PPC Hero: A Complete Guide to Google Discovery Ads
- Summary: PPC Hero’s detailed guide covers strategic insights, ad guidelines, targeting options, and more. Use this expert playbook to master each aspect of Google Discovery Ads and ensure your campaigns drive maximum results for your business objectives.
Google Discovery Ads FAQs
- What are Google Ads Discovery campaigns?
- Discovery campaigns are a type of Google Ads campaign that allows advertisers to reach users across Google Discover, YouTube, and Gmail using visually appealing and intent-driven ads. Note that this does not include Google search ads or Google display ads on the Google Display Network.
- Where do Discovery ads appear?
- Discovery ads can appear on the Google Discover feed on mobile devices, YouTube’s Home and Watch Next feeds, and in the Gmail Promotions and Social tabs.
- How are Discovery campaigns different from Display campaigns?
- While both campaign types use visual ads, Discovery campaigns leverage Google’s understanding of user intent, combining signals like search history and browsing patterns, to show ads to users most likely to be interested in the advertised product or service.
- What kind of visuals should I use for Discovery ads?
- Use high-resolution, compelling images that resonate with your target audience. Ensure the visuals align with the message in the ad copy.
- Can I choose specific placements for my Discovery ads?
- No, Google’s algorithms automatically determine where to show your Discovery ads based on the provided assets and target audience.
- How do I set up audience targeting for Discovery campaigns?
- Advertisers can choose from several audience types, including in-market, affinity, detailed demographics, custom intent, and remarketing or similar audiences.
- How does automated optimization work for Discovery campaigns?
- Google uses machine learning to adjust bids, audience segments, and placements automatically to achieve the advertiser’s specified objectives.
- Can I use Discovery campaigns for local businesses?
- Yes, while Discovery campaigns can drive website visits and online sales, they can also be set up to encourage physical store visits.
- What’s the recommended budget for Discovery campaigns?
- There’s no one-size-fits-all answer, but it’s advisable to have a budget that allows for sufficient data collection and optimization. Start with a budget you’re comfortable with, monitor performance, and adjust accordingly.
- Are there any restrictions on the content of Discovery ads?
- Yes, Discovery ads must comply with all Google Ads policies, and certain verticals or products might have additional requirements or restrictions.